Re:[TenTec] Corsair II sidetone revisited

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re:[TenTec] Corsair II sidetone revisited
From: "Adam N." <adam2@n4ekv.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:35:57 -0800
My Corsair II's crapy sounding sidetone bugged me until I got an Idiom Press SCAF-1 filter. Works great on RX, but had the unexpected side effect of smoothing out the sidetone on TX.

Still, I'm very interested in a Corsair II mod to improve the sidetone.

73,

Adam N.
N4EKV
Oakland, CA
www.n4ekv.com

k7gt@charter.net wrote:
I just did a thorough search of the TT archives re a solid fix to the buzz saw Corsair II sidetone. G3JXS had suggested and implemented an active filter solution
with which he was pleased. Others said that such would
lead to enough delay to affect QSK. It would seem that
a simple one- or two-stage passive filter might have less
delay and thus suffice as the 2nd harmonic is at about
1300-1500Hz (my sidetone is set at about 700 Hz, I was
trying to match the 750 Hz CW offset but couldn't go
quite that high). Before I dive into the books in an
attempt to design such, has anyone on the reflector already
done so?

BTW: I used one of my Corsair IIs in SS this past weekend.
(I am not quite through with the permanent station
setup with the OmniVIs after our recent move and am using
the C-II in a temp setup). I had a ball. The biggest problem I had in a contest setting was quickly and
accurately zero-beating the CQing station. The SPOT
button give a fairly soft and deep (!!) pitch to center
on 0 Hz and the sidetone, as mentioned above, is neither
matched to the offset nor harmonic free for a pitch
matching method of zeroing ala OmniV and OmniVI.

73 K7GT