RE: [TenTec] Filter weasels

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Filter weasels
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:09:58 -0600
I bought an Omni V from K8ZT last year that was loaded with filters. The price
took that
into account.

A new ham friend bought a 746 from a qrz listing. It also came with optional
filters
installed. I suspect that the seller forgot they were there -- he got a very
good deal, and the
radio was in fine shape. We discovered them when he brought it over for me to
help him
check it out.

Count me among those who feel that removing the filters from a radio to sell
them is a
PITA, both for the seller and the buyer.  I view it as simply being a
CHEAPSKATE.

As to TenTec setting the price of used radios -- they are in business to make a
profit, are
expected to provide at least some warranty, and are selling at retail. If
anything is wrong
with the radio, I know that they will back it up. Their price, and their
business practices,
must take that into account if they are to stay in business, which we all
certainly hope they
will do.

When I buy a piece of gear from another ham, I have only their word to back up
the
condition of the radio. And I have no reason to believe that it has been
aligned or checked
out on a test bench. The price I am willing to pay another ham takes that fact
into account,
and will vary with how well we do or don't know each other.  I wouldn't
consider paying
anything approaching the Ten Tec price for a used radio.

73,

Jim Brown  K9YC