[TenTec] IP3 controversy

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] IP3 controversy
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:45:37 EST
Hello all, I have been reading a few reviews and asking questions about this
"Third order intercept" number that is all the rave these days. I have a vague
understanding of what this is, but some controversy has arisen as to how
important this really is.

Rob Sherwood of Sherwood Engineering only lists dynamic range numbers on his
Dayton 2004 comparison chart. I ran into him on the air and asked him why he
does not show IP3?
He responded that anybody can raise there IP3 number simply by turning on
their attenuator on any rig and so it wasn't that important to him. I just read
the same statement on the latest review of the IC756PROII where the VK poster
said anyone can raise their IP3 by inserting an attenuator in front of the
receiver.

I vaguely remember reading Doug Smith's Article on receiver performance,
where he stated that dynamic range numbers alone did not tell the whole story
on
receiver performance, and you had to consider IP3 numbers to get an accurate
picture. Since he helped develop Orion, I assume he knows what he's talking
about.

Bottom line, Who's right, and Just how important is IP3?

73, Todd - KT0DD - kd7efq@aol.com
"The race is over...THE RATS WON !"