Re: [TenTec] Your favorite TT rig? (for CW)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Your favorite TT rig? (for CW)
From: Joe Malloy <jmalloy@stny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:49:25 -0500
My favorite Ten-Tec rig (not necessarily to best-performing) was the one I was introduced to at a club station, W4UVA (University of Virginia), when I went there to attend graduate school -- a Triton IV. I had not seen one before and had only seen a Argonaut 505 briefly a couple of years earlier. I couldn't believe such a plain and simple appearing rig could work the wonders it did. The only downside, and that comes in later years, was the audio-derived AGC, but judicious use of the rf gain control took care of that. My first TT rig was an Argosy -- which I similarly loved (although it lacked an RF gain). In fact, I was fond of both of them -- the Triton for introducing me to TT and the Argosy for great performance in a little box. I liked them so much, I bought one of each in recent years and occasionally use them.

My next TT was a Corsair -- which was my mainstay for many, many years. But that's another story.

73,

Joe, W2RBA

I've used a Triton IV (digital) and a Corsair II extensively and an Argonaut 2 some mobile. I like the Corsair II - sweet receiver, nice QSK, good filters. The Argonaut II is OK but a little noisy and lacks a really sharp filter. Corsair II wins hands down. Haven't really used the Scout yet.

Dave K9SW

Corsair 2
Argonaut 2
Scout