[TenTec] 1.732 Headphone Distortion w Strong Signals

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1.732 Headphone Distortion w Strong Signals
From: "Larry Rockfield" <w6ub@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 06:41:24 -0500
While others have lost audio tone with Version 1.732, I have headphone audio distortion from the main receiver on strong local signals in the range of 59+40 dB and above. The speaker has no distortion under the same operating conditions.

Prior to Version 1.732, the S-meter stopped in the vicinity of 59+35 dB,
regardless of signal strength.  With this new version, the meter will
actually hit the stops at 59+60 dB.  Ten-Tec has: "Fixed S-Meter routine to
correctly show signals greater than +35 dBm."

The headphones are Heil Pro-Set Plus and additional resistance padding is
often used to help suppress QSK keying clicks. So, I doubt the headphones
are the problem. Master Reset and RAM-CLEAR have not helped. Adding attenuation or reduction of RF Gain will clear the audio.

Thanks,
Larry W6UB