Re: [TenTec] WTB: Orion with AT

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Orion with AT
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:34:19 -0500
Definitely BUY THE HARLEY...and a cheap dinette set... You'll never regret it...

As for the Orion, it's a toss-up... The Orion has wonderful possibilities, once the firmware is sorted out... TenTec has a 30 day return policy, so you have nothing to lose except the shipping charges... Where else can you get to shake down a radio for 30 days and return it if it doesn't meet your requirements..? I've heard and read about many of the UPSIDE of the Orion... If I could afford (justify) $3K for a radio, I'd buy the Orion... Meanwhile, my Jupiter does everything that I expect of a mid-priced HF transceiver... No complaints at all...

BTW, you might want to re-consider the built-in AT... Buying an external AT will provide greater flexibility and, if you're going to drive a linear, the built-in AT is generally not needed. I use an external LDG tuner with the Jupiter (barefoot), but I use an large manual TT tuner after my Kenwood TL-922A linear. An external AT can be switched to any other HF radio... Flexibility..!

Anyway...what to do...Orion or Icom...Orion or Icom...Harley or dinette set...
Chuck, KE9UW

73 and Good Luck

Larry - W1GOR