[TenTec] Orion thoughts for non users- what I like:

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion thoughts for non users- what I like:
From: <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:54:30 +0000
Hi-
 I bought the Orion in September, 04. Some of what I like:
1.  My Ten Tec filters from another rig were re-used for the roofing filters in
this rig. I was impressed that I could center the filters to my operating and
thereby minimize any loss from their being somewhat off frequency. (page 36)
2. I can set the widest roofing filter I want to use. No reason I can see to
spend energy amplifying 20 KHz of spectrum, when 2.5 KHz or less is more
efficient for SSB or CW.
3. I find it comfortable to listen to CW, with this rig, with the bandwidth set
to 100Hz. No ringing.
4. No problems downloading the new software, or installing it. Just follow the
instructions.
5. CW signals appear to almost jump out at me as I narrow the bandwidth to 100
HZ. I had thought that their signal strength increased, but I was wrong as was
demonstrated to me this weekend. The signal to noise ratio is just so improved
that noise and QRM is gone.
6. Using stereo headphones on CW you can set the receiver to mimic stereo.
(page 18 BinRx) It's purpose is to tune across a CW signal and achieve zero
beat it when it is centered in the headphones.
7. SSB can be copied with the bandwidth set to 1100 Hz, when QRM demands.

Comparisons are A/B/C compared with OMNI VI+ and K2/100.
Those are but a few of the things I like about it.
73 de Dave in NH