[TenTec] Re: Orion - work in progress - Now RFI

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion - work in progress - Now RFI
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:06:49 -0600

I have second floor station with HIGH power to a vertical, this can be very difficult for RF Grounding. At first RFI and RF in the shack was terrible at my QTH.

I would do these two things first,

1). Replace ALL and I mean ALL coax with the LMR-400. Make sure all connectors are tight, check them a second time by hand and tighten them again. This alone kicked the but out of most of my RFI problems.

LMR-400 sheild is superior and the losses at HF are very low, Remember, there are 3 conductors on a coax. Cheaper coax (RG-8 & 213) will let the RF from the Inner shield and conductor escape to the outer sheild. LMR-400 is 100% film sheilded with a second wire mesh sheild for a very secure transmission line.

2). Use the Sheilded Ground talked about below. Use a Coax - LMR-400 is better for this but RG-8 is ok - at the ground rod, connect both Sheild and center conductor together. At the last item in your shack before it goes to the antenna ( in my case this is the High Power RFI Low Pass Filter ) connect ONLY the center conductor. leave about an inch of the center insulating material. Tape up the end to cover and insulate the sheild that was exposed. Then connect every other RF ground to that point.

I have very very little RF on my cases now and thus have never had my Orion do any thing weird becarse of RFI. No flickering on my monitors, nothing in my mic, and nothing going funny in my house.

I would not be in a hurry to buy the line isolators and baluns, At high power these tend to over heat, They are ok for Low power when the antenna is at a good SWR.

Best 73's
Rich
K5SF