Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:34:45 -0800 (PST)
I concur with Steve's assessment regarding the SSB rag
chewing case. The Pegasus/Jupiter are probably the two
most pleasant SSB rag chewing radios that there are.
They are not however the best there is when comes to
digging really weak signal out of the noise or for use
on a crowded band. Even less so if you've made the IF
gain full clockwise tweak. The Corsair design is very
clean/quiet design until you get to its audio stages;
there it really begins to show its weaknesses. The
audio filtering op amps and other audio components are
a rather noisy, the Pegasus/Jupiter are much cleaner
and have much less audio distortion.

So it is the relative strengths and weaknesses of both
the Corsair and Pegasus that inspired my DSP IF
experiment with the Corsair II. My initial results
have been very encouraging. More to follow on that
when I get some control issues with the SDR-1000
squared away (I also have some other slightly
different ideas along that same vein in the works too
;)).

Having never used an Omni VI I can't comment about
them. I do believe though that they have a better
(cleaner) audio final amp than the Corsair and other
earlier TT radios with National Semiconductor LM38x
series audio amps (can anybody confirm this for me?).
I also agree with the assessment of the Icom IC-765
posted earlier, it is simply not a pleasant radio to
listen to, and it suffers badly from audio IMD
distortions. I've tried the various AGC mods for it to
lessen that characteristic with little improvement. So
not sure if my 765 have some genuine component problem
or if they are all that way. I suspect it's some of
both. Its main redeeming qualities are that it can
hear very well on LW frequencies bellow 500 kHz and
its pleasant "touchy-feely" ergonomics.

Duane
N9DG