[TenTec] Titan I, II, III...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan I, II, III...
From: KD7EFQ@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:51:10 EST
Hello, They most likely decided to upgrade the Titan line due to tube cost &
availability.
The Titan I (which I have) uses 2 of the Eimac 3CX800A7 / 3CPX800A7 which are
now extremely expensive - $475 to $500 each. Very good, clean, reliable tube
but you need to watch grid current closely to keep from blowing the tubes. It
only handles 4 watts grid dissipation. Mine has a foldback protection circuit
in it for this.

The Titan II tube, 4CX1600B is no longer manufactured and very hard to find
replacements for. So they went to the Titan III using 2 4CX800's which are
plentiful and very cheap - $95-$100 each.

 I prefer the Titan I because of cleaner IMD products, and I think the Blower
for the tube is quieter than the later Titans. You can also find a good one
used for 1/2 the price of a new Titan. (even cheaper than a new Centurion)
However, I would not contest with this amp due to the high cost of tubes. I
mainly
ragchew and wok casual DX.

 73, Todd - KT0DD - kd7efq@aol.com
"The race is over...THE RATS WON !"