Re: [TenTec] Which autotuner????

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Which autotuner????
From: Mark Erbaugh <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:18:00 -0500
On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 21:29, tom stewart wrote:
> Bought an SGC 239 for my Scout/mobile installation.
> Thought to test it in shack as I have no experiance
> with autotuners.  Hooked it up to my Omni 6 and a
> ladder fed dipole. Works well and saves time as I move
> up and down the bands often.
> Thought to buy another SGC but would like some advice
> since I have no knowledge of this type of device and
> would like to make a more informed descision this time
> as I consider an auto tuner for my base station. I do
> well with 100 watts so a high power tuner is not
> needed. Thanks for any and all
> opinions, thoughts and ideas. Tom N7LMY

I've had good luck using the now discontinued LDG AT-11MP with my
Pegasus, Orion and Omni VI.  The only problem I found was that you need
to reduce the output power of the Omni VI before tuning. During tuning,
the tuner would pass through a setting that would cause the Omni's
overcurrent protection to trip, if I tried to tune at full power (the
Omni doesn't reduce power when you press the tune button). Once tuned
however, the Omni would work at full power without problem.

I was thinking of picking up a new LDG Z100 tuner as they are currently
on sale at R&L, but I received an interesting email from Dwayne at LDG.
He said that he would not recommend the Z100 for any TenTec radios. He
said that their amps are a little beefier (too much of a good thing?)
than those of your "average" 100 watt radio and more than the Z100 was
designed for.

FWIW, the AT-11MP is rated at 150 watts while the Z100 is only rated at
125 watts.

73,
Mark