[TenTec] Tentec Orion / Yaesu Mark V FT-1000MP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec Orion / Yaesu Mark V FT-1000MP
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:35:39 +0100
Here comes the boring man, again... :-)

No, chill out, this time I will not shoot anyone.

Just an info I'd like to share and nothing else. No conclusions should be
made after this.

As I can't keep my second Tentec Orion from being stressed with some RFI
and/or ground loops problems; after having spent nearly all my time trying
to solve this and that during 3 months I finally took the hard decision to
get rid of my Orion.

Well, IT IS a sad decision I know, but if I can't make it work in my own
shack / radio environment, the easiest thing to do is to get rid of the
radio ! I can't get rid of my house and I can't afford a "Texas ranch" kind
of house with some towers 100ft away from the shack.

So, the Orion has been sold last week.

I have just received a new YAESU Mark V FT-1000MP [Arrrgh ! no, not that
ugly JA radio] which is an old friend to me as I owned the whole familly
(FT-990, FT-1000, FT-1000MP) just before buying my first Orion in August
2004.

Of course, and I'm not really surprized, I've just make some contacts during
1 hour, running the rig at 200w, with absolutely no RFI problems at all,
with a high quality audio reported by 2 stations (and a new country too this
evening on 40m).

The radio was not yet connected to the ground, during transmit, nor the
computer speakers or telephone were stressed by some RF leakage or whatever.

I know my message is without any interest, but it tells me one thing : Try
before you buy !

All the best and I'm happy to be back again on the air, with key clicks and
poor numbers, okay, but on the air ! ;-)

Eric, ON6CV.