RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't
From: eqtc@xs4all.nl
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:32:19 +0100 (CET)
Hi all,

I have seen several postings regarding RF-feedback in the microphone
circuit of the Orion. I would say that cause number one is: too much RF in
the shack due to radiating cables etc. The antenna is maybe too close to
the shack or the shield of the coax is radiating?...
It is always a good idea to first try and reduce the RF in the shack. It
is also not too healthy!

I have also seen reports that other radio types did NOT have RF problems
in the same environment, so the Orion does seem more sensitive. I remember
that my Paragon I (still for sale hi!!) had this problem too and I found a
later Paragon having a factory installed 1 nF capacitor from mic. entrance
too ground and a RF choke in series with the microphone line. It cured my
problem, so that may be an idea for the Orion too!

73 and GL, Dick/PA2DW