Re: [TenTec] About the ACOM/Orion

To: <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] About the ACOM/Orion
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:45:48 -0000
Jerry

Like you I would be interested to understand a little more of the detail of
this problem as I may have an Acom 2000A in my future too.

In general though:

The Acom 2000A http://www.hfpower.com/ACOM2000A.htm is an auto tune amp,
similar in functionality to the Alpha 87A
http://www.alpha-amps.com/html/alpha_87a.html

The 87A is pin diode switched whereas the Acom uses vacuum relay switching.
The Acom has a remote control head unit providing local feedback & control
if the amp is located remotely from the desktop. The 87A uses a pair of
3CX800A7s which are now very expensive, whereas the Acom uses a pair of
rather less costly 4CX800s.  The Alpha 87A is currently priced at USD 6950
whereas the Acom is somewhat less, I believe.

Both Alpha 87A and Acom 2000A have comprehensive fault detection circuitry,
as has the smaller non auto tune Acom 1000.

I own an Alpha 87A and an Acom 1000 currently.  I use these with my pair of
Ten Tec Orions.  I don't use loop connection with either amp as both switch
fast enough not to need it.  I operate full QSK with both amps and never
experience hot switching failures.

In the 87A and Acom 1000 (and I believe the 2000A), hot switching, over
drive and mismatch faults are all soft faults which cause the amps to go off
line but not power down.  Hard faults such as tube flash over and voltage
fault will power down the amps.

What I would like to understand about the problem being discussed is:

What fault condition does the Acom 2000A indicate with this particular
failure?

Does the Acom 2000A need to operate in loop mode to avoid hot switching?  If
it does, I wonder why it switches more slowly than its little brother the
Acom 1000.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F