RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec rig I'd like to have.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Ten Tec rig I'd like to have.
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:48:47 -0800 (PST)
I've been plugging for this kind of extensible
architecture myself, but let me play devil's advocate.

>From the manufacturer's point of view, you would be
jumping into a wilderness.  In the extreme, your
hardware might become just another PCI plug-in card,
like the various TV tuners you can buy. You would have
to offer a standard software package for basic rig
interaction, but the user could write his own, or he
could buy from 3rd parties. (We've seen this will
older computer-based radios.)

For one thing, the vendor has a support problem.  What
is being supported?  Right now, TT supports a big
black box with a front panel and antenna jacks.  There
is a limited "API" (application programming interface)
provided through the serial port.  In the "PCI" world,
the API to the cards is just as important to support
as the end-user interface (standard software package).
 TT must expose many more of its secrets and/or dirty
laundry.  (We see hints of this in the ongoing
evolution of the firmware!)

Another problem is economics: Making rigs into
computer peripherals is attractive to some of us
geeks, but for the vendor, it may look like they're
going from a high-value (closed/proprietary) product
to a commodity - just another DSP card with a 100 watt
power amp.  (The difference between Apple and Acer.)

So I expect the "extreme" SDR radio business is going
to be driven by the hobby projects & garage businesses
more than by the established vendors.  Seems to be
going that way.

73, Martin AA6E