Re: [TenTec] Re; Adding 2.8 kHz filters to OMNI VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re; Adding 2.8 kHz filters to OMNI VI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:26:07 -1000

Question: what are the practical effects of an "unbalanced" SSB signal? As Barry has noted, there is an enclosure with the 2.8 kHz filter that says the carrier "may have to be balanced." I haven't done anything to balance the carrier and cannot notice any problem when listening to the OMNI in another receiver. What should I be looking for?

Perhaps "modulator balance" or "carrier null" would have been a better lable for Ten-Tec or other SSB radio manufacturers to use. A carrier balance control is used to null the carrier in a balanced modulator. If not properly nulled, you will be transmitting AM (perhaps with only one sideband) instead of SSB, which should transmit no carrier. This will waste your transmit power in the unnecessary carrier and annoy others on the band. If the amount of carrier is significant you will have to reduce your TX audio level so that the combined carrier and sideband power does not drive any stage of your transmitter in to nonlinearity. Also the carrier will increase the duty cycle of that your amplifiers and power supplies have to provide.

DE N6KB