Re: [TenTec] Wireless Remote Control of Jupiter or Pegasus

To: <kd4e@verizon.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wireless Remote Control of Jupiter or Pegasus
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:07:04 -0500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5741056873&fromMakeTrack=true
> http://rock2000.com/wireless/7000n.htm
>
> It sounds as though one could run the control software
> in the radio room as well as conecting a microphone and
> remotely locate the rig at the tower a considerable
> distance away.
>
> These appear to be legal to operate as FCC approved unlicensed
> devices on 2.4GHz.

Interesting concept.  I see a few problems.

1) cost. From the second link the cost of two modems (one for each) is over
2K

2)You need to control the 12 VDC power to the Pegasus / Jupiter.  These
radios are not designed to have the external power switched without using
the power switch. The instructions clear say to turn the power supply on
before turning on the power switch.  The power on circuitry has some inrush
protection.

3) this is nit picky, but in the US, the using an unlicensed device to
supply transmit audio is in violation of FCC amateur regulations which
prevent (execpt in specifically authorized cases) retransmission of audio
from other services. Presumably this device works under Part 15 which
constitutes another service.  The same restriction applies to using cordless
microphones.

73,
Mark, N8ME