Re: [TenTec] From Omni 5 to Jupiter?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] From Omni 5 to Jupiter?
From: "ki3b@juno.com" <ki3b@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:27:17 GMT
I have both and a Omni VI Plus Option 3, all loaded with the filters and for CW
I prefer either the Omni V or VI over the Jupiter. The crystal filters do a lot
better job with bandwidth control and adjacent frequency interference than the
Jupiter does. I won't parrot the comments already made because I'm seeing the
same thing with my Jupiter, but my due to my operating time limits, it's not an
issue for me at this time.

Overall it depends on what you really want to do, if you're seriously into CW,
then I'd recommend keeping the Omni. If you're more a SSB/digital guy then the
Jupiter will do a good job for you, especially since you can also operate it in
the Pegasus mode (computer control), and have the software updates for 60
meters, and general coverage reception, etc.

I still think the Omni V and Omni VI (and the Ten Tec gear in general) kicks
butt over the stuff from Japan these days. But in kicking that butt on the ham
bands, you have to also compromise a little since these rigs cover their
specific ham bands only and if you want some of the latest gizmo's (DC to
daylight frequency coverage, built in RTTY receive display, etc) then you have
to go with the later version Jap rigs. The nice thing about the Jupiter is that
you can download the updates with your PC, and upload to the rig, and it's
ready to go. You can't do that with the Jap stuff....

If you're able to, with the cheap air fares, it would be worth a trip down to
TN see rig or find out if someone around you has a Jupiter that you can twist
the knobs a bit. Plus, there's always the Ten Tec warranty.....

73,

Joe KI3B