[TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues
From: "yv5mbx" <yv5mbx@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:53:51 -0400
Hi,

I will try to pinpoint the situation and also will post again on the list,
your ideas will be apreciatted (Maybe a book to be read)

1.- It takes almost a minute to load the software at radio startup, is
this  normal???

 2.- The Orion on the other hand has a lot of background noise on most any
 band and I cannot seem to get rid of the noise (I saw it posted today)

 3.- I spend my time mostly in 80 & 160 mts and in CW I found those
 parameters reasonable for me BW: 1720 PBT:150 but once a low signal
 station
 appears (most of the times) I start to move the PBT/BW & CUT randomly
 without understanding what I am doing just relaying on my ears.

 I would like to have a criteria to use those powerful weapons :)

 Of course instead all this situation I had been able to copy stations that
 with my SuperCharged Mark V were at noise level :)

 4.- In SSB the situation is worst and it's very difficult for me to hear
 clear audio because I got stuck with the filters use and I am most of the
 time unable to have a reliable audio.

 5.- In terms of graphics I see a vertical line while I move the filter fro
 on side to another, I had read that to align the filters I had to press
 for  2 seconds either the CUT  or PBT and this happens, but I have not idea
were
 I am at that time, so I spend some time from station to station moving the
cut/pbt & bw randomly until a decent signal is picked up. Maybe the rig
it's to much for me :(

6.- At ANT 1 port I have a low band ant & ANT 2 yagi, while using ANT1 the
 watmmeter installed between ANT2 port and coax switch moves a litlle ?????

 STILL I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE RIG THE PROBLEM IS THE HANDLER Hi-Hi!!!!

73's de Javier