[TenTec] OMNI VI product detector IMD

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI product detector IMD
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:42:33 -0800
Hey all -

Anyone with an early OMNI VI do the Ten Tec modification to improve the in-passband performance of the product detector? I do not mean the 2nd order IMD mod that is done on the RF board (I have done this one and it does not help).

If you have a fairly early OMNI VI, check with 2 stations in the passband with S9 or so, see if you can hear the beat note. G4PKT produced a daughterboard product detector to cure the problem and Ten Tec did a fix for later OMNI's to take care of this problem.

I spoke to Ten Tec and got some instructions to add two caps to the IF/AF board, I did what was suggested and got no improvement. I'll call back to see if I have it correct, but just wonder if anyone has taken care of this and knows exactly what the remedy is. I have the G4PKT board but would rather not install it if the Ten Tec remedy is sufficient.

Clark
WA3JPG