Re: [TenTec] Re:Re: [Ten-Tec Orion] QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re:Re: [Ten-Tec Orion] QSK
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:37:50 -0500
Hi Jim...

Well truthfully there is a lot of folks who agree with your statement about doing it manually. Especially the German hams that operate in the HSC. They totally scoff at the ham's in the states because we use keyboards to send...they use paddles and are darned good at it up to around 70 wpm. The other side of the coin is the we use nothing but our ears to COPY high speed CW and that's where the real fun comes into play. Even though my typing ability on a Dvorak keyboard is pretty good, some days I just seem to make horrible typing errors.

But the whole thing about high speed CW is it is just another fun part of this hobby, something else to do to add to your enjoyment, if you like CW.

When your learning to copy higher speeds, about 40 wpm is where it tends to get a little harder. However, there is a definate barrier around the 55 wpm range. Every one I know of who does high speed shares that same problem. It is in the 50-60 wpm range that your literally trying to train your brain to transition from letter and word copy, into sentenance copy. All of the folks that I run 60 wpm and higher with understand that being 'in tune' with the flow of the conversation begins in that range. All of this high speed stuff in purely conversational CW, send me word groups and I'm sure I'll get lost around 35-40 wpm. Fortunately we don't speak in word groups!

Tom - W4BQF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Davis" <nn6ee@yahoo.com>