Re: [TenTec] Orion Receive Antenna Input

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Receive Antenna Input
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:43:43 -0800 (PST)
Merle,

I took out my schematics (D prints shrunk to 8 1/2 x 11, ouch) and
tried to trace the Rx signal path.

The Aux Ant input sees a 1 mH choke to ground and a spark gap, same as
the other inputs.  I don't see any R/T switching between this ant.
(when selected) and the receiver inputs.   Each receiver input seems to
have clamping diodes to +/- 5 volts and then a diode R/T switch (in the
main Rx only?).  I guess that means it's "safe" unless you burn out one
of those diodes.

It would be nice if TT would spec the max receiver input voltage, but
they don't.  For myself, I would limit input voltage to maybe 1 volt
peak to peak.  Less is better.  If I couldn't be sure of a safe level,
I'd provide external switching.  Alternatively, especially for the
lower bands, you might put in a fixed attenuator in the input.

73, Martin AA6E