[TenTec] Inrad Roofing filter board in Omni VI

To: jsb@digistar.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing filter board in Omni VI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:23:20 -1000
Hi Jason,

Now that you have had the Inrad roofing filter modification in you Omni VI for a while, I wonder what are your impressions? I don't know what kind of operating you do, so you may not have noticed the improvement too much yet, if you have not operated any contests since you got it installed. Or maybe you operate on 40 meters amounst the SWBC carriers often, and have noticed a great improvement already. I am also curious whether you have noticed any difference in the way the noise blanker functions with the Inrad mod in line?

It appears that the location in the signal path of the Inrad roofing filter modification was chosen as much for ease of installation and deinstallation as much as for any other reason. There is only one gain stage (Q1 on the 9 MHz mixer/IF board) that the Inrad roofing filter is in front of, that the standard Ten-Tec 2.4 kHz filter (Y2) is not also in front of. And the Inrad mod is also in front of the NB detector and switch. This is based on my Omni VI schematic, and it is not a + or version 3. I don't have a schematic of those.

Can you discern any difference in the noise blanker function with/without the Inrad roofing filter? For instance when band conditions are such that your ability to copy a signal is not limited by close in strong signals, and is limited by QRN and you are using the noise blanker, what works best? Inrad roofing filter in or out?

Thanks,

Ken N6KB