Re: [TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:18:02 -0500
Geoff,

You're exactly right.  The TS-430S represented the next generation in it's
day; the Argosy, and later the Argosy-D, was the last of the previous
generation.  So putting them side by side was not fair.  Nope, not fair at
all.  Not in the slightest.

But I did it.

I should have explained (again); at the time, I worked in a now-defunct
Amateur Radio store in Pittsburgh selling transceivers of all sorts.  And I
should add, I owned a TS-430 myself during the time.  So you could say that
I had every reason to be biased in favor of the 430.

But I not only sold, but used the Argosy -- and the Corsair, the Argonaut
509 & 515, the 430, the 930, and the equivalent ICOM & Yaesu rigs, the
Dentron Amps, the Nye Vikings, the Astrons, and so on and so forth.  We felt
it helped to explain the radios, and to compare & contrast them on request,
if we actually had some hands-on use of our own.

Comparing/contrasting the Corsair & TS-930 was easy; they sat on the
operating/display table side by side.  I had to pull the display Argosy off
the shelf and hook it up next to the 430 anytime I wanted to contrast the
too.

Keep in mind, too, that the 430 sold in the $675 neighborhood, give or take.
The 525 was a $499 rig in most markets (the 525D was sold for about $30 more
when it replaced the 525).  Forget that "missing" two HF bands on the 525,
or the fact that it only had 1 crystal filter socket.

So, strip away the bells & whistles.  Forget the two digital VFO's, the
memories, the general coverage receiver (which was easily converted to a GC
transceiver, involved clipping a wire as I remember -- mine was so modified)
and the other chazeri.  Concentrate on PERFORMANCE.  On how the radios
sounded on the air, on how well they received signals, on the reports that
the stations you worked told you.

9 or more times out of 10, when the evaluating amateur was honest with me
and with him (or her) self, the Argosy beat the TS-430S on receive and was
equal to it on transmit.

So on paper, no, it wasn't fair, the 430 should have blown the 525 out of
the water every time.  It didn't, not when it counted; it was the other way
around.  Go figure.

Now, why couldn't I sell more Argosy's?  It wasn't for lack of trying (and I
wasn't paid commission, so it didn't matter which rig I sold).  Some people
wanted the digital readout, the digital memories and so forth, and didn't
mind spending the difference.  Some wanted a top of the line rig... and
frankly, I did sell a lot more Corsairs than 930's (and I'm not slighting
the equivalent ICOM & Yaesu rigs, but we sold more Kenwoods than the other
two, which is another story -- suffice to say that Kenwood & Ten Tec were
our top two HF sellers, and the others were also-rans).  But when it came to
features versus cost, most people who picked the 430 over the 525 cited the
power output as the deciding factor.  I can honestly say that, IMHO, if a
100 W version of the 525/525D existed, and the retail cost difference
between it and the 430 was more than $100, I believe that I would have sold
a lot more 525's.

(And I should mention that there was, at least in the Pittsburgh area, one
other factor against the Argosy's.  Someone started a rumor that Ten-Tec was
lying, that the Argosy was actually made in Mexico, not TN.  The "proof"?
It wasn't stamped "Made in USA."  Now as I recall, at the time, the law
stated that you only had to put a "made in" stamp or sticker on something if
it was NOT made in the USA, but somehow that logic was ignored.  I don't
know who started the tall tale, but I remember that one guy who pushed it a
lot on a local repeater was the same guy who was mad at me for not giving
him prices and technical help when he called me on the phone... via the
local repeater's autopatch, which I could clearly hear on one of the 2 meter
demo rigs, but I'm really digressing here)

The sad thing about the lack of the "local" ham store in most communities,
and the (not unrelated) lack of Ten Tec dealers, is that it is now truly
difficult to put two similar -- or dissimilar -- rigs side by side and
easily compare their features, by yourself as the buyer, in a real-world
experience.  At least Ten-Tec gives you a 30 day evaluation; with most
remaining dealers, you buy it, you keep it.

73, ron wn3vaw