[TenTec] Good faith & John Swisher KE4CCI (long)

To: "TenTec List (TenTec List)" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Good faith & John Swisher KE4CCI (long)
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:25:35 -0800
When I first started in ham radio almost 20 years ago I purchased a
Heath-kit antenna switch during an on-air swap & shop.  I was amazed that
the owner of the switch accepted a personal check AND sent me the switch
before receiving my check.  The trust shown really impressed me and, over
the years, I've attempted to emulate this operators decision to conduct a
sales transaction in "good faith".

In November of 2003 I responded to a request on this reflector from someone
identifying himself as John Swisher (KE4CCI) for Omni VI filters.

  http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/2004-11/msg00368.html

I had a Ten-Tec model 285 filter that was surplus to my needs.  On November
23 Mr. Swisher responded that he would pay my price and asked for my address
so he could send the appropriate postal money order.  I provided the needed
information the same day.

On November 27th, Mr. Swisher re-sent his mailing address and I inquired if
the MO was on its way and told him I'd advise him when it arrives.  His
reply "Thanks".   On November 27th I sent the filter to KE4CCI - via the
Post Office insured.  On December 14th Mr. Swisher advised that the filter
had indeed arrived.

On December 22nd I reported that the MO had not arrived and asked for
information on date sent etc?  December 23rd Mr. Swisher promised to go to
the post office and check it out.

January 19th still no MO and I re-send my mailing address to KE4CCI.  Sunday
January 23rd KE4CCI indicates he's put a tracer on the MO and will let me
know by Friday and promises to send payment Monday (I assume January 24th)
via priority mail.  He adds "Like I said before no worry, youll (sic) get
your money if I have to bring it myself."  February 7th I inform Mr. Swisher
that the 2nd MO has still not appeared?

There has been no further correspondence from Mr. John Swisher, KE4CCI of
Unicoi, Tennessee since January 23, 2005.

KE4CCI is proud of being an amateur radio operator and displays his Ten-Tec
equipment at:

   http://profiles.yahoo.com/ke4cci

... and he has a rather telling 2001 rebuttal on the No-Code issue at
http://www.eham.net/articles/2646 (search the eham page for his callsign).

On Friday, February 11th, I sent a note to mr. Swisher advising him that if
I didn't hear from him by Monday, February 14th, I'd be posting this
message.

Now many of you are asking - "So why are you such an idiot to send product
before receiving payment?"  I'm afraid it goes back to that first antenna
switch I bought 20 years or so ago - TRUST.  This bone-head has shaken the
trust and respect I have for others in the amateur community.  One single
bad apple has likely destroyed my "good faith" approach to swaping
equipment.  I find that extremely annoying!

This is the 1st time in more than 20 years I've been ripped off by another
amateur.  I have given Mr. Swisher ample opportunity to explain and rather
than just write it off I'd like to somehow warn others!

I'm not sure what else I can do! Any thoughts?

73,

Rick
VE7TK

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk

PS:  The opinions expressed above are my own and in no way are they intended
to reflect the opinions of the list owners.