Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing filter board in Omni VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing filter board in Omni VI
From: Ira Franklin <k4ymq@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:07:04 -0800 (PST)
Chuck I have not received my roofing filter yet. How ever I have decided I want
to keep option of additional filter in nar slot. I have decided to use the ATTN
button to turn on roofing filter. I never use the attenuator (dont jump on me
guys I perfer to turn down rf gain). Hopefully I will receive filter in early
March.    73.s  Ira

Chuck Guenther <ni0c@earthlink.net> wrote:A couple of weeks ago, Ken Brown,
N6KB, asked:

"Can you discern any difference in the noise blanker function with/without the
Inrad roofing filter? For instance when band conditions are such that your
ability to copy a signal is not limited by close in strong signals, and is
limited by QRN and you are using the noise blanker, what works best? Inrad
roofing filter in or out?"

I had an experience yesterday, I'd like to share. During a time when I had
strong line noise, some of the locals were working 5T0CW on 30 meters, and I
couldn't copy at all. The Omni VI noise blanker helped, but not enough. Then I
turned my NAR switch off ( which disengages both my narrow IF filter-- INRAD
753-- and the 600 Hz roofing filter. Now I could copy the 5T station! The noise
blanker was more effective in smoothing out the harsh hiss of the line noise in
this case. When the line noise is not present, I always have better copy with
the NAR switch on.

I've been considering dedicating the Omni VI to CW only by wiring the roofing
filter so it is in line all the time (using the NAR switch in its normal mode).
That would provide me with options in terms of CW selectivity (since I have the
VI, not the VI+). Now I'm wondering if this would compromise my noise blanker.

73,
Chuck NI0C