[TenTec] cw overshoot

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] cw overshoot
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:45:45 -0500
Mark: My Orion does this as well if running at about 100 watts.  Ignore
the meter pinning; it was much worse in earlier firmware.  What is
important is the power overshooot on the first couple of characters
sent.  The first few are about 10% higher power than the setting, or
settling in power output on cw.  This is important only if you are
driving an amplifier with low drive requirements, and one should then be
aware of and compensate for it as needed.

I cannot say this is why the meter pins, but suspect it has to have some
influence.  I see the power overshoot clearly on a scope. The Orion is
not the only radio that does this, and some are far worse than
Orion..knowing about it is important so you can take it into account as
necessary.   73 bob de w9ge