Re: [TenTec] Choosing a QRP HF rig with 3A max supply current

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Choosing a QRP HF rig with 3A max supply current
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <mizuhoradio@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:03:34 -0800 (PST)
Hi, Dave.

The TS-130V draws 4.5A at full output (10W) and a lot
of the demand are the blue flourscent tubes.  I don't
think it will meet your requirements.

If the Argonaut V is too power hungry you might want
to look for a Ten Tec Argo 556, the QRP cousin of the
Scout, or the Argonaut II, the QRP cousin of the Delta
II.  Used prices on both rigs seem to have come down
lately.  Either would meet your power requirements
easily.  The Argo is smaller and lighter weight but it
may take some time to find all the modules.  Ten Tec
still has some available new but others are sold out.

The Icom IC-703 and IC-703Plus draw no more than 3A
for 10W out but be sure the bias adjustment has been
made and the keyjack mod has been done or you may be
in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Any of the above will have better receiver performance
that an FT-817.

Just my two agorot worth (about half a cent US)...

72/73,
Caity
K7VO/8

=====
Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637