Re: [TenTec] Triton IV PS Question

To: Jim Crites <jcrites07@bigfoot.com>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV PS Question
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:48:02 +0200
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:14:29PM -0600, Jim Crites wrote:

> My 252MO died so I would like to power my Triton IV with my Astron PS.
> There are 4 power supply lines from my 252 to my Triton. My Astron has
> only two lines out. Is safe to attach only the pos and neg lines from my
> Triton to my Astron?

The triton Iv had 4 leads going to the power supply. Plus and minus DC
(12 volts) and a set of "cold" leads from the power switch. The power
switch leads could handle 120 volts AC  at sufficent current to run the
power supply, but not 12 volts DC at sufficient current to run the
transciever.

The one failing of the Triton IV IMHO is that if you run it into an infinite
(> 5) swr, the finals will overload and burn out. The Ten Tec supplies had
a circuit break built in to prevent this, but if you use your astron
supply, you will need to provide the correct breaker on your own.

A usefull trick to keep the on off switch functional is to use it to power
a high current relay. For example, I had gotten a 12volt 20 amp "automotive
relay" at Radio Shack which ran off of 12volts DC at a few milliamps.

Depending upon the relay you buy and how you wire it, you can either
switch off the transceiver or the astron supply, If you switch off
the astron supply with it, you will need a source of low current
DC such as a "wall wart".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: 972-2-679-6896  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838