Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 tuning drag

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 tuning drag
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:45:25 -0800
The slip clutch arrangement works just fine if the knob is set up
properly to begin with. It has been used on a number of Ten-Tec rigs.

An interesting excercise is to take the knob totally off so that you can
see how the clutch works and its range of motion. Then set it so that
the two clutch pads are as retracted as possible and then reinstall the
knob pressing in to the point just before the pads begin to cause drag.
You can now add additional drag by holding the slip ring with one hand
and turning the knob with the other.

Now one thing I will mention. I personally don't like any drag myself so
all my Ten-Tec knobs are set loose. However I don't know about the
previous owner of my Omni-VI Plus, I do know that the main encoder
bearing is shot and that I had to install a new encoder and they are
expensive! I suspect the more drag you set the more wear this bearing
will endure. Just a thought.

Jerry, KG6TT