Re: [TenTec] 1.372 stability

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1.372 stability
From: "HENRY PFIZENMAYER" <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:14:42 -0700
FWIW-  I have an Orion with 1.372 that is about two weeks old - For the past
three days I have left the sweep off and I still get the "sounds like the rx
is ok but no signals syndrome when going from tx to rx . Tx still transmits.
" - Nothing will recover it other than the off/on cycle. Incidentally , I
made a bunch of QSO's on both 80 and 40 cw after I put in a couple of
filters and I decided to operate with no cover and see what happened. No
lockups so I guess I can extrapolate that to mean I should leave the cover
off ???? JUST KIDDING.!

Just for grins I put about 8 turns of the dc supply on a F240-J core right
at the xcvr and still get lockups . A couple of the lockups took place after
maybe an hour rag chew on 40 cw and had not even touched the rig during the
qso -changed nothing - just key the paddle full QSK and one time the rx went
dead , once the TX went dead - monitor sidetone still tyhere - meter still
at full scale during keying - only reason I realized  the tx had quit was
the guy broke me to ask if I had blown my new rig. Now I leave my ant tuner
power meter active instead of watching reflected power. Nice "feature" is
that at least the OFF/ON cycle comes back just as it was set before the
glitch.

All my antennas are balanced dipoles coax fed , no end fed stuff , shack is
dead for rf in my humble opinion.

Still like the Orion but sure need more stability, more qso interruptions
with this rig in 2 weeks than with my TR7 in 25 years .

Hank K7HP

/listinfo/tentec