Re: [TenTec] Rig changes

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rig changes
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@callatg.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:52:30 -0800
It seems to me that your description of the reason you didnt like the
transceiver weren't as you first reasoned. Its kinda quirky that detractors
of the Jupiter don't like it for one special reason all their own and
emphasize that point and seem to summarize  the Jupiter as inferior.

I'd like to point out that a ICE 400 filter's design frequency starts at
1Mhz, and while that will take care of any AM BC above that point, the
offending spike may be below that i.e. 550-1000khz where many local stations
potentially could still overload the front end. I dont know if Im belaboring
the obvious here, and dont mean to be anything but helpful. The 402 might
just solve it.

I have only had exceptional performance from my Jupiter rig and hope others
do as well. There is no hardware NB, and I treat that control as I would any
other. If it helps it stays on-off if it doesnt.
The LCD screen is what it is, and the computer interface (Pegasus emulation)
is the alternative.

I really like the Ten Tec stock mics. Ive used others. I get my best reports
using either the hand or desk mic. on blind /casual tests. I use a Vibroplex
Brass Racer w/keyer built in the base and think that's as nice as I've used.
Ive tried alot of others, but not the real expensive models. I've got no
beef with the built in keyer, just happen to like the one in the Racer. I
use an RCA cordless headphone that allows me freedom from the vicinity of
the rig to get coffee, pet the dogs or run down the hall.

I also fixed up an isolation transformer for the audio and find the heathkit
HS 1661 to be wonderful for both SSB and CW. I dont operate digital modes
and only occasionally AM.
I recently acquired the 302 remote knob and find it a wonderful adjunct to
tuning when it suits me to use it.