Re: [TenTec] Power connector for older TenTec rigs and/or hand mike??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power connector for older TenTec rigs and/or hand mike??
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
Yes the 4 pin PS connectors are all the same. However not all
Ten Tec power supplies are truly compatible with all radios.
The later Omni V/VI series for example have higher TX current
requirements so a 262M power supply fom the 540/544 wouldn't
truly be up to the the task of powering an Omni V/VI. For
what it's worth I wouldn't anyhow since the 262M doesn't have
a crowbar overvoltage protection circuit in it unless it was
updated. And the 252/262 era (i.e. Triton
VI/540/544/Omni-A/D/Series B/C) power supplies were
struggling to reliably provide 20A at TX, they will probably
fail quickly powering a Omni V/VI/Paragon. Any money saved by
using/keeping a 252/262 series PS will likely cost you more $
in repairs to the radio sooner or later. The first truly
decent TT supplies with crowbar protection (and two pass
transistors) are the 260/280, though they too are rated only
20A. The 960/961/962's are higher current capable @ 22A if I
recall correctly.

Sorry for that tangent but felt that it is relevant to this
discussion - now for the connectors themselves:

1. They are not a Molex part, but are instead Amp
"Mate-N-Lok" parts.

2. The power cord (supply side) 4 pin connector housing is a
P/N 1-480702-0 (it worked perfectly fine here anyhow).

3. The power cord/supply end sockets are P/N 350550-1 (Socket
20-14 AWG).

4. If you ever need to replace the 4 pin radio housing for
some reason someday it is a P/N 1-480703-0 (worked FB here
too).

5. The radio pins are P/N 350547-1 (Pin 20-14 AWG).

6. BTW the Pegasus uses the 2 pin version of these same
connectors (I'm 99% sure that the Jupiter/Orion do too). The
power cord end housing being a P/N 1-480698-0.

Mouser Electronics carries all of these Amp P/N's. They are
really quite inexpensive at about $.25 each for the housings
and $.11-.12 each for the pins and sockets. I suspect though
that Mouser has a minimum order amount that may make them
pricier if only ordering them in "onesies" "twosies"
quantities. I ordered mine along with whole bunch of other
stuff so didn't have a problem with a minumum order size. So
it is likely that the TT price for them is actually a quite
reasonable when ordering just one connector.

Also keep in mind that that the older TT radios did not have
any over current protection or SWR fold back built into them
so they used a magnetic circuit breaker built into the TT
supplies themselves to protect the radio. So if using the
older TT radios with another PS you really do need to provide
some kind of fast acting overcurrent protection for them.
Numerous threads here on the reflector have discussed the
Airpax circuit breaker topic, so some searching of the
archive will find that answer. BTW TT no longer stocks the
one that they sold for those radios to be used with a generic
PS.

Duane
N9DG