Re: [TenTec] Orion, *nix, and hamlib

To: Steve Baron - KB3MM <SteveBaron@starlinx.com>,tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion, *nix, and hamlib
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 00:09:33 -0400
On Apr 7, 2005 12:38 PM, Steve Baron - KB3MM <SteveBaron@starlinx.com> wrote:

> [...]

The core routines make the interface that the application programmer
sees.  The "back-end" has the code that knows a particular rig's I/O
capabilities, like an I/O driver.  The actual code is pretty
straightforward.  The complicated part is configuration management --
deciding what capabilities a particular rig supports and making the
right connections.

> > for Hamlib, the "universal"
> > free library that aims to provide a rig-independent programming
> > environment.
>
> Really ?  Works with all rigs?

There are about 200 back-ends defined.  Many are not well tested.  If
you're into this stuff and your favorite rig doesn't have a
maintainer, you can "adopt" its back-end and make it sing.

>   It is now working better with Orion, although as you
> > might expect, not all of Orion's features are available through the
> > standardized interface. It is still a work in progress, now available
> > at version 1.2.4.  This software runs best in a Linux environment,
>
> Hmmm!?  Which one ?
>
> > although there is work on MacOS and there are Windows strategies,
>
> INcluding completion ports?

If you're interested, join the hamlib discussion group via
hamlib.sourceforge.net. Check the archives.

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net