Re: [TenTec] Audio blues

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Audio blues
From: "Richard Williams" <richardw@mho.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:28:12 -0600
Hi Larry,

I have had my Orion for quite awhile now and I also had "good audio" reports
initially.    However, when listening to my audio with headphones using the
monitor function on the radio, I found it didn't sound that great.  What
really clued me in to having a problem was when I turned the speech
processor on; terrible feedback and really bad audio.

I found a couple of major problems in the wiring of the mic.    To make a
long story short (I am using the same mic(s) - a Heil HM-10 and Heil Pro-Set
headset/mic) on both the Orion and a Ten Tec 526 6N2 rig)  make sure you
have the mic hooked up to pins 1 and 2 on the mic connector and the PTT
between 3 and chassis ground (connector case).

I found the problem listening to myself with the headset and turning on the
speech processor; so you might want to try listening to yourself and see how
you sound with and without the processor on.

You said you did a master reset (which seems to cure problems that turning
the rig on and off doesn't); but you might also try a RAM-CLEAR reset.  The
procedure for doing it is hidden away on the Ten Tec web site, but it is
activated by turning the radio on with the VFO-B Lock button held in.
After turning on the radio,  hold the button in until  you get a BATTERY
FAILURE message.  Release the button and then answer yes to "Clear user
memories" and "Reset option filters".  When the radio screen appears again,
turn the radio off and back on.

No gurarntees on that fixing it either,  but I would certainly look at how
your mic is wired, and if your mic is one that has the PTT and mic ground
tied together,  I would look into a mic like the Heil that has 4 leads (mic
isolated from the PTT ground return.

Dick K8ZTT