Re: [TenTec] QSK-5 & Omni VI+ ??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK-5 & Omni VI+ ??
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:23:07 -1000
Hi Gert,

You said: "I do have a QSK-5 in my AL1200x which worked fine so far with
my Kenwood TS-870S and the Elecraft K2 transceivers.Recently I got a
TenTec Omni VI+ and I do have problems interfacing the QSK-5 by using
the Omni Vi+ handshaking TX OUT/TX EN. Can somebody give me a hint how
to do it correctly?"

I have no data on the QSK-5 or the AL1200x, so I cannot tell you what it
wants for a keying input or what it provides for a keying output. I do
have an Omni VI and a manual for it, so I can tell you what it does.

The Omni VI has an open collector NPN transistor for it's TX OUT switch.
The transistor is turned ON at key down, and will pull a positive
voltage (from your QSK capable amplifier) to near ground potential at
key down. The keying input to the Omni VI  needs to be something similar
to that. The  +REG voltage of 8.5 volts that appears at the TX EN input
of the Omni VI needs to be pulled low by your QSK capable amplifier in
order to key the Omni VI.

Is the QSK-5 "strappable" for various voltage levels, polarities and
logical senses? If so you need to set it up to work with what I
described above.

DE N6KB