[TenTec] Omni VI and power supply occilation???

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI and power supply occilation???
From: "denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:14:41 -0700
I recently purchased a used Omni VI that quit transmitting, sent it in to TT
for repair and alingment. TT replaced the finals and some other work...
I recieved the repaired Omni yesterday and wasted no time getting back on
the air.
This morning....no rf out AGAIN!!! Exact same sympthons as before.
I made a call to the TT repair department, and they said since I run a
homebrew power supply, I may have an ocillation from the power supply that
is destroying the finals in the Omni.
What ocillation??
I have used this power supply for years. It is currently feeding an FT 990
and uhf/vhf radio without problems. The power supply has fed various TT hf
rigs thru the years without problem. Is there something unique about an Omni
that will not allow it to be used in my station on the existing power
supply??
The power supply is currently hooked up to a pair of absorption mat deep
cycle batteries with a blocking diode between the B+ and the batteries. It
has been used this way for quite some time without problem, and the power
supply alone is capable of 35 amps continous all day long.
TT also tried to tell me this morning that I may have to run the Omni, when
it gets back from being repaired a second time, on a separate power supply
that will shut down when it detects ocillation.
Anyone run across this before...thanks....