Re: [TenTec] Color for the Orion Screen

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Color for the Orion Screen
From: "Randy K4QO" <k4qo@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:53:17 -0400
Lots of advice on the contrast adjustment - I appreciate that - I always
start with the obvious when helping someone with their technical stuff too!
;-)  Actually, I have the screen adjusted pretty well, but its still not
what I would call "crisp", but thats probably very subjective...

The gels are made to be optically true and therefore do not dim the display
or cause abberations. They are much like a thick celophane and are not at
all foggy.  Quite transparent actually, much like glass.

I tried the glare/polarizing filters for computer screens first to see if
that would help.  I tried the type that look like a fine mesh screen and
also the glass ones.  The screen made things worse since it caused the
display to be fuzzy due to the nature of the material and had the added
affect of dimming the display.   With the glass one, I couldn't see much of
a difference so I didn't go much further with that.

To my eyes, the murkyness is due to a bit of a blue haze that is actually
"cut" by the yellow range filter.  To my eye, the display is crisper with
the gel than without it.  YMMV, but its not an expensive to try it.  Lots of
folks have asked where to obtain the gel material - look under the yellow
pages for a stage lighting outlet/store.  I was tempted to make one gel
setup that had the center "box" on the screen one color and the outside
another.  I didn't do that - even I have my limits on where I'll go with a
good idea! hi!

73,
Randy
K4QO