Re: [TenTec] Hissness

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hissness
From: "n4lq" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:01:18 -0400
Very good points Don. One thing I've noticed over the years; Most of the
rigs these days have way to much RF gain, especially on the lower bands.
On my TS-xxx, I turn off the pre-amp, kick in the attn and lower the
RFgain and have gain left over. Basically, we can lower the gain until
the noise just moves the S meter a tad. Signals stronger than that noise
wil sound fine. Signals weaker than the noise wouldn't be heard anyway
no matter how high the gain is cranked.
I have a really cool sound DB meter from Radio Shack that is great for
making test like you mention. Tonight I'll try to compare my OmniVI with
the TS-wood and see what happens.
The Corsairs bug me when using the 250hz filter and headphones. The IF
hiss is unbearable
Steve