[TenTec] omni D display problem...fixed

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] omni D display problem...fixed
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:29:47 -0400
thanks for all the notes on trouble shooting the wacky display on my
omni D

The problem is now fixed.. Here's what happened...

when replacing one of the ICs on the main logic board, two of the
adjoining pads were connected together.

If you have ever worked on an old piece of Ten Tec gear, you may have
noticed that during production, all the leads on all the parts are
smashed down against the pcb. When using the vacuum desoldering tools,
You have to heat the pad, then pry up the lead you want to unsolder.

when replacing the IC, it looked to me (at the time) that the two pads
were together.

I found this out when placing the scope on the input to the divider.
Instead of just seeing the input being squared up, there was a 5ms
pulse as well. the 5ms pulse came from the shorted pad...

kinda feel foolish...

the radio is almost fixed. the PTO needs a rebuild and the remains of
several electrolytic capacitors need to be vacuumed out...

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop

http://www.seslogic.com