Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI

To: eric@k3na.org,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:17:02 -1000
Hi Eric,

When I first started operating 160 meters, it was at a club station site
which had a full quarter wavelength base insulated tower. We used that
tower for transmit only, because the MWBC QRM was just too much. There
was a 920 kHz and a 1030 kHz 1 kW each transmitter combined into one
tower about two miles away. In the other direction there was a 1150 kHz
station maybe three miles away.

I wanted to use the big vertical for receiving, so I made some series
resonant traps. One for each MWBC transmitter frequency. I used a
spectrum analyzer with tracking generator to get them tuned right on the
BC frequencies. You want the Q high enough so that there is negligible
attenuation at your operating frequency, and the notch at the BC
frequency is really deep, but not so high a Q to make the notch so
narrow that the BC modulation sidebands are no longer in the notch. I
was using capacitances in my series resonant traps of around 2000 to
4000 pF.

The first set of traps I made were using big air variables, paralleled
with doorknob caps and 2" diameter air core inductors. I used these
because they were readily available, and I did not need to worry about
their ability to dissipate any of my transmitter power. Since the traps
are not perfect they will have to dissapate some of your desired
transmit signal (although very little) and some of your transmitters
spurious emissions too. I was using a Kenwood TS-440 which may have
significant phase noise.

Later when I started using an amplifier, I modified the TS -440 to have
a separate RX antenna input, and external TX/RX QSK switching. Then,
since there would be no transmitter power on the dedicated RX antenna
port of the rig, I made a much smaller version of the traps, using
J.W.Miller miniature inductors and dipped silver mica capacitors. I made
another set for a friend. I explained that I did not expect the little
tiny inductors to hold up to transmit power levels. He did not listen,
and proved my suspicion  was correct by smoking the inductors.

The series resonant traps are really easy to make. The spectrum analyzer
/ tracking generator really helped to get them tuned just right, and to
know how much rejection to expect, and how much loss on 160 meters. I
was getting at least 30 dB rejection on the MWBC frequencies and only a
couple tenths dB loss at 1800 kHz. I am sure you could do it without the
spectrum analyzer/ tracking generator. I used the reactance charts in an
old ARRL handbook to get the rough capacitance value for the fixed
inductances I was able to buy. Then I added incrementally capacitors
until the notch was right on the MWBC carrier frequency.

A high pass filter is a little bit more complicated. And if you plan on
using it in another location, where the strongest MWBC signals are on
different frequencies, you won't have to retune it. With just traps you
can still do MWBC DX listening elsewhere on the band.

By the way, thanks for the presentation at the Topband Banquet in Dayton.

73 DE N6KB