[TenTec] Software control of the Jupiter radio [help needed]

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Software control of the Jupiter radio [help needed]
From: Olivier Le Cam <f5mzn@win-test.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:55:13 +0200
Hi forum,

I author of a contest software and I'm trying to add support of the
Tentec Jupiter, but I have problems to get the radio communicating with
my software.

I must confess that I'm doing this implementation without the radio,
which is, as you can imagine, very frustrating.

I'm helped by W0RSR who is a Jupiter owner. He reported to me that:

- his radio does work with different softwares (like Ham Radio Deluxe)
- the radio does receive and interpret band change from my software
- the software never receives any information back from the radio

Here is a Debug file sample:
2005/06/04-22:52:09: Initializing COM port #2: 57600 3-0-0
2005/06/04-22:52:13: -> 3f 41 0d
2005/06/04-22:52:14: -> 3f 42 0d
2005/06/04-22:52:14: -> 3f 4d 0d
2005/06/04-22:52:15: -> 3f 41 0d

As you can see, the software sends "?A" and "?B" commands to the radio,
but apparently the radio never replies.

W0RSR told me that his cable is a store bought straight through 9 pin
serial cable which is all the Jupiter requires.

He tried to set DTR and RTS to "always off", "always on", and
"handshake" in the software. "Handshake" and "always off" gets the radio
controlled by the software.

I am thus interested by your ideas. Any help will be greatly welcome!
Thanks very much in anticipation!

Olivier / f5mzn
http://www.fy5ke.org
http://www.win-test.com