Re: [TenTec] Orion problems in contest

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion problems in contest
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:01:02 -0000
Bill, W4ZV wrote:

>  If you are seeing otherwise there is simply something wrong with your
rig.

Knut

Your experiences are certainly at odds with my own. I find Orion to be the
best contest rig I've ever used.

That said, Orion can do some pretty strange things when intimidated by rf.
I think the reference you make to rf getting into your Orion maybe the clue.
Your IMD experience appears to be what might be expected if the hardware
noise blanker is switched on.  I guess it's possible you might have turned
this on and not noticed but it's also possible that rfi has switched it on
but not necessarily the front panel indicator.  Before doing much else, I
would suggest you do a master reset and check out the rx again.

I don't have any problems with rfi affecting my Orions here but all of my
antennas are fed with 50 ohm coax and are around 30m from the rig.  I have
heard of folks using wire antennas close to the rig having some strange
things happen.

BTW it was nice to work twice yesterday during the BWQP.

73  Bob, 5B4AGN