Re: [TenTec] SDR done right?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR done right?
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <mizuhoradio@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:21:55 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Reed,

> My neighbor Pat, K4BEH, had one for a few weeks and
> he loved it *except* for the lack of autonotch in
> the DSP.

You are correct that it doesn't have an autonotch.  It
also doesn't have DSP noise reduction other than the
noise blanker.  It also has a minimum DSP bandwidth of
200Hz.

What it does have is an absolutely fantastic receiver
that runs circles around my other rigs, including the
ones I previously thought excellent.  I just plain
hear signals clearly that I don't on other rigs.  It
also has fantastic IF DSP bandwidth filtering.  I used
to think that DSP is no replacement for crystal
filters.  I'm not so sure anymore.

I do still use my W9GR DSP II for narrower than 200Hz
bandwidth on CW (as in down to 30Hz if I want) and for
noise reduction.  This is no different than what I did
with my older rigs.

Feature for feature, dollar for dollar, I still think
the Argonuat V is better than anybody else's low end
rig.

> Apparently there was no interest at TT to
> add the capability via firmware upgrade, so he
> traded it back in and got a Jupiter. He agonized
> quite a bit about it, though, 'cause he REALLY
> liked it otherwise.

He wanted more features and went for the next rig up
the line.  I can understand that and it does make
sense.  He did pick another Ten Tec SDR, didn't he?

For me the Argonaut V is just fine the way it is.
Sure, I'd like more features.  Who wouldn't?  For a
<$800 radio, though, I think it can't be beat.  I love
the receiver.  I love the quality of the receive
audio, even on AM for SWLing.  I'm a QRPer who likes
small radios.  For me it's the best Ten Tec for my
needs and budget.

I hope by the Ten Tec hamfest to be able to have
"twins" and buy a 526 for 6 and 2 meters.  If it's as
good on VHF as the Argonuat V is on HF I'll be
thrilled with it.  It will also make a very smart
looking, American made station.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637