Re: [TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI question for Orion and other TT rigs
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:34:15 -0500
One other very important point is to make sure that your station is not 1/4
wave, electrically, above ground.  Many times in today's world the antennas
that we use are not required to have any type of ground to properly operate
or radiate efficiently.  These are generally center fed dipoles either with
coax or balanced feeds or  beams.  On the other hand, off center fed
antennas (Windom) end fed wires, slopers, verticals and such do require a
good ground system.  And a driven ground rod or two does not make a good
ground system.  It is more extensive than that.

As to 1/4 wavelength grounds, an example of this point is a driven ground
connected to the station by some 16 ft of wire.  This will likely place the
station at a maximum voltage point on 20M.  Typically not a good situation
where the load not being resistive and not near 50 ohms.  RF will flow on
the shield and back to the station.  In this case, no ground is better than
this ground.  Actually, correcting the load Z is the better approach.

I find in general that hams need to have a better understanding of RF
ground, DC ground, and lightning protection ground.

73
Bob, K4TAX