Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightning and Grounds

To: Tentec <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightning and Grounds
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:00:00 -0500
Carl's comments are really the only really safe way to handle the issue.
However, in many cases, such as remote radio installations or repeater
installations the approach of disconnecting is not a reality.  At the same
time, proper grounding is a reality.  I strongly subscribe to the practice
that all grounds being served by a common electric service must be bonded
(connected) together.

Several have asked about why disconnecting the antennas and leaving the
ground connections caused a problem.  Look at it this way as a simple test.
Start with 2 driven grounds say some 20 ft apart.  Measure the resistance
between the two.  Then connect the two driven grounds together with a piece
of #8 or larger copper and again measure the resistance between the two.
Well of course, the connection between the two connected together will have
a much much lower resistance.  Now then, apply ohms law, E = I*R.  You have
2 values of R to use, one without the bond wire and one with the bond wire.
You choose an arbitrary value of current  "I", say 100 amps.  What's the
voltage between the two grounds?  Now, say your radio equipment is connected
to one ground and the AC mains is the other.  Thus without being bonded
together the difference in potential will be flowing from your radio ground,
to your radio equipment through your 3rd pin ground or from the chassis to
the neutral via the power transformer insulation.  Even though the equipment
is off.  Result:  damage to the radio and if the surge is large enough,
damage to the house.

In the example above I will use a R value of 25 ohms for the resistance
value of the un-bonded grounds and an R value of 0.1 ohm for the bonded
system.  In each case the current is 100 amps.  The voltage between the two
un-bonded rods would be 2500 volts and for the bonded configuration the
voltage would be 10 volts.  Which case would you prefer?  Most power
transformers have a test voltage rating, primary to frame of 1500 volts.

For the comment of the power company not requiring a driven ground, I don't
think this complies with the NEC.  Perhaps someone that is more familiar
with the NEC can contribute to the statement.  To that end, some have said
to use the water line as long as it is metallic.  Many houses use copper
inside but have plastic or PVC to the meter.  No ground exists in this
configuration.

I realize that this is not really along the topic of Tentec radios, but does
apply to Tentec radios and all other brands as well.  Thanks to the
moderator for allowing the discussion and post.  To that end, I have a nice
paper which I have presented at several conferences and has been published
in several journals.  It deals with "Lightning Protection for the Home and
Station".  It is free for the asking.  It is in Microsoft Word format and
the file size is about 175K.

If you wish further dialogue on the subject contact me direct.

73
Bob, K4TAX
RMcGraw@Blomand.net
171 Grandview Dr.