Re: [TenTec] Dayton, European Style

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dayton, European Style
From: "WF2U" <wf2u@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:20:01 -0400
Rick,

Thanks for the Friedrichshafen report.

I was there in 2000. I flew into Zurich, rented a car and drove there. It's
a very nice drive and including the ferry ride across Lake Constance it took
under 2 hours to get to the Convention Center.
I had an indoor camping/parking space reserved, the price for 5 days was
equivalent to US$25. I used the car as my locker - all the purchased stuff
and my luggage were stored there, and I slept in a tent pitched right next
to the car. The bathrooms and showers had a tendency to be a bit disgusting
during the morning and evening hours but for $5 a day average?...
Otherwise, I had a blast, hooked up with some Cold War military radio and
"boatanchor" collectors (like myself) from Eastern Europe I already knew
from correspondence/on air contacts and got a lot of information on Russian
military equipment I'm collecting. I saw a lot of interesting gear in the
flea market area, and the new equipment area, as there was stuff there not
usually seen in the US.
I bought some 50's and 60's vintage East German, West German and Russian
radios which were crated for me by a German ham friend and shipped to me
later.
I was aware that the hamfest is going to move to the new convention center -
I think 2000 was either the last year or the year before last at the old
convention center.
The Friedrichshafen  hamfest is definitely better organized than Dayton, but
the flea market is all indoors - maybe if there was an outdoor flea market
with tailgating, it'd be potentially larger?

The beer is indeed good, and the Turkish food vendors there add a nice
variety to the food selection...

I was considering making it there this year but it just didn't work out.
Too bad there were no Russian vendors at the flea market, I'd have missed
the main reason of being there... so maybe it's for the better - I'd have
been disappointed.

Finally, it's great to hear that Ten-Tec is making a comeback in Europe!

73, Meir WF2U
Landrum, SC