Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Front panel maintenance

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Front panel maintenance
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:21:11 -0700
Don Rasmussen wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I just received the most beautiful OMNI VI+ from a ham
>friend who has upgraded to Orion.
>
>It is so pristine that aside from loading the Inrads
>in it I hardly want to put a screwdriver near it. But
>the 500 hz filter button has been pressed alot (might
>be a CW guy?) and could be replaced.
>
>It appears that the front panel of the radio somehow
>swings down from the chassis, possibly for
>maintenence. Does anyone remember from the days of
>OMNI VI upgrades, just how much of a project it is to
>replace filter buttons, and how far apart the radio
>must be disassembled to do this?
>
>Thanks,
>Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6
>Carlsbad, Ca.

The buttons are on one large panel assembly... sort of a sandwitch. You
can buy a replacement for the entire assembly from Ten-Tec for $20+ or
so. I did last year. Getting at that panel requires that you remove the
front panel completely. Mostly an easy task but you will have to
unsolder the wires to the phone jack and the mic connector.... the rest
unplug. Careful on reassembly as the small LED's have to line up
PERFECTLY!. Overall not too bad of a job

73,

Jerry, KG6TT