[TenTec] ladder line

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ladder line
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:49:00 +0000
I have thought about rigid vertical dipoles before but didn't do anything because i was afraid ground effect would unbalance them (I didn't want to deal with insulating the bottom of the bottom half also) unless they were higher up than I wanted to go, and i knew the feedline would have to come away at 90 degrees for some distance. If the feed point were 30 feet up or more that might be kind of tricky (a lot depends on your site and what's in the way). if i were going to try one, i'd probably think about a wire dipole suspended from a rope between two structures if possible.

But, while we're on the subject, I'd like to put in a plug for an outfit here in town that should be of interest to anyone who wants to work with aluminum: these antennas we're discussing are pretty basic structures and can be homebrewed (probably should be). I have a guy here in my town who started a business about 2 years ago selling heavy gauge aluminum pipe and machined mounts, clamps and split sections. Also portable antenna masts and accessories, stainless and galv. nuts and bolts, cable, guys, coax and connectors, 6061 Al tubing, custom machining, tiltover bases. He goes to hamfests around here and ships. Was at Dayton but his business has been pretty much word of mouth. Saw him this morning at the Aurora IL hamfest and he told me he just shipped some of his product to Egypt. If he can ship there he can ship to you and I've looked at his stuff and it all looks like high quality:
Charles Penninger KC9DAO
Penninger Radio, 619 S. 9th Ave. St. Charles IL 60174,
phone/fax 630-584-7641,
http://www.penninger.com,
radio@penninger.com

rob/k5uj