[TenTec] vertical dipoles

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] vertical dipoles
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:15:39 -0400
NJ0IP wrote:

Bill, you really have to be "a believer" to use these antennas if they
really work like the first two sentences of that link claim:

"The end-fed halfwave antenna is among my favorite for field operation. It
is easy to setup, can be used without a feedline, and performs well."

Can't remember ever seeing an antenna that could be used without a feedline
;-)

I guess they mean you can just insert it into the transmitter. (?)

Or was it a miss-print?  Maybe he meant "without radials".

         For the Par antenna, yes it can be used without
any feedline, just direct connect to the transmitter.
For an example, see a picture of me using mine directly
connected to my KD1JV ATS-2 QRP rig here:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/cataloochee_divide_trail_qrp.htm

Guaranteed to cool you off in July just seeing that picture!

         Classical end-fed networks do require at least a small
counterpoise.  I'm not sure if the Par is using the connected
transmission line, or the case of the directly connected rig,
but I can absolutely say it works incredibly well.  I have home-
brewed end-fed networks using info from AA5TB's site, but I
always use a quarter-wave counterpoise wire.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV